Here is some brilliant advice for experienced DJ’s to promote their night. Follow these tips and you’re sure to be successful.
- Always remember that the night is for the patrons – They may come because of you but the night is for them. Let this fact inform your decisions and behavior.
- Realise you’re the boss – Even though the night is for the patrons, don’t let them run over you. The biggest complainers about my nights are those who attempted running over the DJ and failed. Even if you’re a DJ who has to play every request, you’re still the boss. In this instance, you should learn not to play requests immediately, even if the person tipped. You’re not a jukebox. You’re a DJ!
- Don’t expect to make money right away – If it’s possible try to get a residency somewhere. It takes time to build an audience.
- Learn basic graphic design – If you are paying someone for your graphic design it’s not really worth it. Even people doing it for free will sometimes be unreliable or unpredictable. There are some great free tools online, get some practice and you’ll be a pro in no time.
- Tell the media – Advertising is going to be the key to your success. Using social media is a great tool for free advertising. Also try getting a space in the local newspaper or on the radio.
The main thing to remember is that if you’re not having fun it’s not worth doing. There will be some bad points but don’t let them ruin the great points of DJing.
For more brilliant advice on DJ & Turntablism there are highly experienced musicians hosted by Comusica from The Sage Gateshead. On Sunday 14th of August go to Whitley Bay.
Follow us on Twitter @TheUrbanGames and Facebook-http://www.facebook.com/theurbangames